Bran English Muffins
What makes these English muffins so great? It isn't the holes, it's the All-Bran® cereal! Kids love making − and eating − these fun and tasty griddle-fried muffins. A lovely Saturday morning treat.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 3/4 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115° F)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1. Measure milk, margarine and salt into medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until margarine melts. Remove from heat. Stir in KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal. Let stand until lukewarm.
2. In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in cereal mixture. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups of the flour, mixing until dough leaves sides of bowl.
3. On flat surface sprinkled with remaining 1/4 cup flour, knead dough about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Add more flour if dough becomes sticky. Place in mixing bowl coated with cooking spray. Spray top of dough with cooking spray. Cover lightly. Let rise in warm place until double in volume, about 45 minutes.
4. Punch down dough. On lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/2-inch thickness.Cut with floured 3-inch biscuit cutter into 12 muffins. Place on baking sheet lightly sprinkled with flour. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in volume, about 45 minutes.
5. Preheat electric fry pan to 250° F or preheat large regular fry pan over low heat.Place muffins in ungreased fry pan. Cook uncovered about 25 minutes, turning once, or until lightly browned on both sides. Cool completely. Split and toast muffins to serve.
Yield: 12 muffins
For softer crust, refrigerate muffins in airtight container overnight, before serving.