Cheese Bran Bread
Lunch is served! This savory yeast bread, featuring All-Bran® cereal and Colby cheese, offers the perfect taste and texture for a sandwich loaf. It's especially good filled with chicken or egg salad, or a mixture of grilled vegetables and hummus.
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115° F)
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded Colby cheese
1. Mix yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl. Let stand 5 minutes. Slowly stir 1 1/2 cups flour and sugar into yeast. Cover and let rest 30 minutes.
2. Add KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal to yeast mixture. Stir and let rest 10 minutes.
3. In medium saucepan, scald milk. Remove from heat. Add salt and margarine to milk. Stir until margarine melts. Slowly stir milk mixture into cereal mixture. Add eggs and cheese to cereal mixture. Beat well. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make stiff dough. On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
4. Divide dough in half. Shape into loaves and place in two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover loosely and let rise in warm place until double in size.
5. Bake at 350°F about 1 hour or until golden brown. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
Yield: 2 loaves, 32 slices