Creamy Fruit Pie
Whole wheat and All-Bran® cereal combine to make a nutty crust for this light and lovely fruit pie. With fresh blueberries, bananas and sliced fresh strawberries, this delectable and elegant chilled pie is sure to become a summertime favorite.
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 container (16 oz.) low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced ripe banana, about 1 medium
- 1 1/2 cups sliced, fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1. Combine KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, flours, salt, the 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon. Using pastry blender, cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the 2 tablespoons water, mixing with fork. Mixture will be crumbly. With back of spoon, press mixture evenly and firmly in bottom and on side of 9-inch pie pan to form crust.
2. Bake at 400° F about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Cool completely.
3. In small saucepan, soften gelatin in the 1/4 cup water, about 5 minutes. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat.
4. In electric blender or food processor container, place cottage cheese, the 1/4 cup sugar, banana, 1/2 cup of the strawberries and hot gelatin. Process until completely smooth.
5. Pour half cheese mixture into pie shell. Arrange 1/2 cup strawberries over surface. Gently pour remaining cheese mixture over strawberries. Garnish pie with remaining strawberries and blueberries. Chill until set, about 2 hours.
Blueberries may be replaced with 1/2 cup of other bite-size fresh, frozen or well-drained, canned, fruits.