Easy No-Knead Bran Bread
Love to bake bread, but hate to knead it? Then we have a treat for you! Our no-knead bran bread bakes up light and delicious, with a fresh, wholesome taste. It's perfect for toasting or as an accompaniment to a creamy potato-leek or tomato soup.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115° F)
- 2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
1. Stir together flour, dry milk powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In large electric mixer bowl, combine yeast, sugar and warm water. Stir in KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg, the 1/3 cup margarine and about half the flour mixture. Beat on medium speed, for 2 minutes or about 200 strokes by hand. Add in remaining flour mixture, mixing with dough hooks or by hand to form stiff, sticky dough. Cover lightly. Let rise in warm place until double in volume (about 1 hour).
3. Stir down dough. Spoon evenly into 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan coated with cooking
4. Bake at 375° F about 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped.Immediately remove from pan. Place on wire rack. Brush with melted margarine. Cool before slicing.
Yield: 1 loaf, 15 slices
No-Knead Raisin Bread: In step 1, stir 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon into flour mixture. In step 3, add 1 cup raisins, when stirring down dough. Before baking, brush top of loaf with the melted margarine. Sprinkle with mixture of 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake as directed in step 4.