Fruit Filled Bran Squares
Providing fiber and filled with fruit, these are some of the best fruit-bran squares we've ever tasted. They're a perfect tea-time treat.
- 1 cup chopped dates or figs
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sour milk or buttermilk
1. Combine dates, the 1/2 cup brown sugar, water and orange juice. Mix well. Set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl, beat shortening and the 3/4 cup sugar thoroughly. Add egg. Beat well. Stir in KELLOGG'S® ALL-BRAN® cereal.
3. Stir together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add to cereal mixture alternately with milk. Spread one-half the dough evenly in 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Drop filling by teaspoon on top of dough and spread evenly. Cover filling with remaining dough, spreading carefully.
4. Bake at 400°F about 25 minutes or until top crust is lightly browned. Cool completely in pan. Cut into squares to serve.
Yield: 24 squares
To make sour milk, measure 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice in lqiuid measuring cup and add milk to measure 3/4 cup.