Fruited Wheat Bran Muffins
These classic bran muffins get their nutty, rich taste from All-Bran® cereal and a hint of spice from cinnamon and nutmeg. Applesauce keeps the tender batter moist, while chopped walnuts and dried fruit add chewy, sweet depth to these individual quick breads. Great for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup refrigerated egg substitute*
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dried mixed fruit bits or chopped walnuts
1. In medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
2. In large bowl combine KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN COMPLETE WHEAT FLAKES cereal, applesauce, milk and egg substitute. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add brown sugar and oil. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in fruit bits. Portion evenly into twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups coated with cooking spray or lined with foil bake cups.
3. Bake at 375°F about 17 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in muffin pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm or cool.
*Note: if desired, substitute 1 slightly beaten egg or 2 slightly beaten egg whites for the egg substitute.